Third Party Events
WasteCon 2018: 15-19 October, 2018
The Institute of Waste Management of Southern Africa (IWMSA) will host the 24th WasteCon™ Conference and Exhibition on 15-19 October.
This premier showcase of best practice African waste management solutions will take place at Emperor’s Palace in Johannesburg, South Africa.
WBA will be exhibiting at the show alongside WBA members Clarke Energy, ALPS Ecoscience, Tropical Power, and Ancitel. WBA President David Newman will also be presenting WBA’s report on global food waste management, written in collaboration with C40 Cities.
WBA will also be signing a Memorandum of Understanding with IWMSA on 17 October.
WBA President David Newman will also be speaking at a side event on understanding the domestication of the circular economy for South Africa, in particular the waste and recycling sector:
Programme: ‘understanding the domestication of the Circular Economy for South Africa, in particular the waste & recycling sector’
Wednesday October 17, 2018
Organized by the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, Green Cape, The Southern African Netherlands Chamber of Commerce (SANEC) and Holland Circular Hotspot.
While the majority of waste generated in South Africa (90%) continues to be sent to landfill for disposal, this lag in development presents an opportunity for South Africa to learn from what other countries have implemented in terms of policy and technology. We will explore unlocking the social, economic and environmental opportunities provided by the concept of Circular Economy that have the potential to create significant opportunities for South Africa.
A Representative from The Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management and Dutch Embassy will open the interactive discussion. The purpose of the discussion is to exchange views and explore current models on the circular economy being implemented in The Netherlands as well as understanding the domestication in the South African context for sustainable solutions moving forward with national and international experts in this field.
17h20: Speakers & Interactive discussion topics. Short introductions & panel
- European Union Delegation to South Africa First Counselor: Massimo De Luca
- The role of Trade and Economics and the EU Circular Economy angle.
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR): Linda Godfrey
- Understanding the domestication of the circular for South Africa.
- The Netherlands Circular Hotspot, director: Freek van Eijk
- The Netherlands is thé Living Lab for Circular Economy in the world.
- World Biogas Association, President (former ISWA): David Newman
- The importance of the role of biomass, biogas and biobased in the CE.
18h00: Panel discussion
Moderator: Green Cape, Head of the Waste Sector desk: Quinton Williams
18:h50 – 19h00 Wrap-up and closing
Wrap-up Quinton Williams
Formal closing, SANEC Mixo Mayimele
- Please register by sending your attendance confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 10th of October 2018
- You can have your organisation participating in both tables by registering multiple colleagues for this event.
- Confirmation, additional information and the location of the meeting room will be shared with registered persons.
This event is part of the long term partnership between Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management and Green Cape extended with corporation with SANEC. For questions please contact Karabo Mahibila (email@example.com) / 011 568 1234 / 073 740 4589